To quickly EXIT this site, click on this bar  
Helpline: 0800 408 1552

Calling Warwickshire Police about sexual abuse - a walk through

Asking for help is your first step towards changing your situation.  By reading this page, you may have already accepted that you have been abused. Talking to someone can help you take back control of your life.

Throughout the process explained on this page, support services such as Warwickshire Domestic Violence Support Services and the independent sexual violence advocate will support you throughout the whole process from initial reporting to putting your life back together afterwards.

If you have been abused, please report it by calling the Warwickshire Police switchboard number on 101.  If you believe you are at immediate risk dial 999. You can also report the incident at the front desk of a police station by explaining to the receptionist that you are reporting a sensitive matter and asking to be taken to a private area.

Because what you are reporting may involve a criminal offence, Warwickshire Police will record the incident, and take your statement. Specially trained officers will be at hand to do this.

Warwickshire Police will look at whether you and your family are at any risk of harm and will determine the responses they put in place to help with protect you.

An investigation would also begin. 

You will be offered a medical examination if you have suffered any injuries, both to make sure you are physically okay, but also to gather evidence.

Gathering evidence could include taking photographs and securing any physical evidence which will be carried out by trained professionals in a sensitive manner. These will be kept in a safe place, in case they are needed for any future court proceedings.

Officers will also ask you if anyone else witnessed the abuse, as they too can provide evidence.

Warwickshire Police will then make enquiries to trace and arrest the person responsible.

All evidence gathered during the course of an investigation would then be put before the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS), who will decide if there is enough to take the offence to court successfully.

Working together, the police and support services will also help you take control of your life and will help you to protect yourself and your family from further abuse.

Powered by GOSS iCM