To quickly EXIT this site, click on this bar  
Helpline: 0800 408 1552

If your friend may be experiencing domestic abuse...

Who can my friend talk to?

There are a number of different agencies in Warwickshire who will be able to talk with your friend / family member and offer support. Many of which can be found within our Service Directory.

This section will give you information about some of the main agencies in Warwickshire supporting victims of domestic abuse. It will also help you to understand what support each agency will be able to provide your friend / family member with, if they choose to call.

As with other areas of the website, we want to answer as many of your questions as possible. To that end, please click on one of the below questions to begin finding out information:

Who can my friend call?

There are many different agencies your friend / family member can call depending on the help you need.

If your friend is in immediate danger you should always call 999.

If your friend would like to talk through your situation with someone there are voluntary agencies they can call - details of which are within our Service Directory - who can talk with them confidentially, and offer both emotional support and practical advice.

Why should I contact Warwickshire Police?

In an emergency you should contact Warwickshire Police by dialling 999 - don't put your friend, their family or yourself at risk. Warwickshire Police can also be contacted on 01926 415000.

Your friend may want to contact an agency within our Service Directory before they talk to Warwickshire Police, but if they feel that they need to talk to them directly - please remember that:

  • They will be listened to
  • Warwickshire Police will take them seriously
  • Their aim is to protect your friend, and their family
  • Warwickshire Police have specially trained domestic abuse officers
  • Your friend can be referred from Warwickshire Police to relevant support agencies
  • There are now specialist courts that specialise in domestic abuse / violence

"Article 2 of the Human Rights Act is the right to life. The police are obligated by law to manage the risk to you and your family." Warwickshire Police

  The police can have an immediate impact on your situation - opening up all sorts of opportunities to you should the perpetrator be arrested and given conditions not to return to your home whilst the investigation is ongoing.

What happens when my friend rings the Police?

Click here to view our detailed information on what happens when your friend calls Warwickshire Police about domestic abuse.

Click here to view detailed information on what happens when your friend calls Warwickshire Police about sexual abuse.

What if my friend doesn't want anyone to know who they are?

There are a number of agencies who can support your friend without knowing who they are. Some of which can be found within our Service Directory. Please note, unless an agency specifically states that your friend can talk to them in confidence, they will have an obligation to pass information on around certain subjects (e.g. child abuse, if someone is at risk of serious harm, etc).

Please also note that (aside from Warwickshire Police - see above), your friend is not obliged to give their name or contact details to any agency. It may however prove difficult for them to support your friend without this information. Warwickshire Police are unable to talk with you or your friend hypothetically, because they are obligated by law to manage the risk to your friend and their family. Officers will have an obligation to act once a complaint has been made.

Any police officer your friend speaks to can however refer them to other agencies who may be able to help them.

Powered by GOSS iCM