To quickly EXIT this site, click on this bar  
Helpline: 0800 408 1552

If your friend may be abusing someone...

How can they get help?

This page will provide information for your friend if they have decided that they would like to talk to someone about their behaviour, or that they are ready to change.

To begin - click on one of the following questions:

What types of help are available to my friend?

There are a number of different types of help available to your friend if they want to change their behaviour. If your friend is looking for help in Warwickshire - they may want to view specific information on calling the Domestic Abuse Counselling Service (DACS), by clicking here.


Visit the Respect area in the Service Directory

If your friend needs help we suggest they phone now: 01604 211445 or 0121 270 61 68. If your friend needs help the reasons that brought them to this point are not likely to simply "go away". The longer they put it off, the more difficult it becomes! The helpline is open 8.00am to 9.00 p.m. most days and on weekends when a course is not being delivered.

Everyman Project
Everyman offers a range of support services for men who want to stop behaving violently or abusively, and for the people affected by their violence or abuse.
Visit the Everyman Project area in the Service Directory

SupportLine provides a confidential telephone helpline offering emotional support to any individual on any issue.
Visit the SupportLine area in the Service Directory


To find a local counsellor suitable for your needs:

British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP)
The BACP is the professional body for counsellors. The search service will find your friend a therapist in the location of their choice. All therapists listed are professionally qualified and regulated by the BACP.
Visit the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP) area in the Service Directory

All sorts of people come to Relate and find it helps them to understand what's going on in their relationships and change things for the better. They offer many different services and resources.
Visit the Relate area in the service Directory


Group programmes

Telephone support, face to face meetings and intensive group work programmes for abusive partners. Contact to find out about next programme dates in your friend's locality.
Visit the Temper area in the service Directory

What happens when my friend rings a helpline? 

Helplines are there to help your friend!

Each helpline will have it's own processes but these are some common aspects:

  • They will say who they are, so your friend knows they have phoned the right number
  • They will ask how they can help your friend
  • They will listen to your friend
  • Your friend will only have to say as much as they are comfortable with
  • Even if asked, your friend doesn't have to give their name or address details
  • Your friend can ask them questions too
  • If they decide they need to pass on any information to another service (e.g. if your friend tells them someone is at risk of being seriously hurt) they will tell your friend what they are going to do.

What help can my friend get with housing issues? 

If your friend's relationship or family has broken down they may need to find somewhere new to live. There are a number of ways to do this:

  • If your friend can afford to privately rent a property visit local estate / letting agents, look in a local newspaper, use the internet
  • If this is not an option, your friend should visit their local housing department who may be able to help, details of which are below. 

To get specific information relating to your friend's area please choose one of the following options:

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough area

Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council is committed to helping victims of Domestic Abuse.

The Community Safety team work with a number of partner agencies to try and reduce Domestic Abuse in the Borough of Nuneaton and Bedworth. The Council have helped fund many projects and initiatives that tackle domestic  abuse, support victims and perpetrators. The team can be contacted on telephone number 024 7637 6322 or on

The Council has a statutory duty to assist those fleeing Domestic Violence where they are unable to occupy their normal place of residence. The Council works with a number of agencies to provide places of safety and support to victims and advice and guidance for those seeking alternative accommodation within or outside of the borough. We take part in the county-wide Sanctuary Scheme which provides target hardening measures to make the home safer and more secure for those wishing to remain in their own home. Floating support services are funded through Warwickshire Supporting People and provided by specialist agencies.

For more information, contact the Housing Advice team on 024 7637 6121, or click here to visit Nuneaton and Bedworth Borough Council's housing website.

North Warwickshire Borough area

North Warwickshire Borough Council's Housing Options and Advice Service can give your friend advice about their housing options. Your friend can contact the Service during office hours (8:45am - 5:15pm) by ringing 01827 715341.

Further information can also be found here, at North Warwickshire Borough Council's website.

Rugby Borough area

Rugby Borough Council has a legal duty to provide advice and assistance for those who are threatened with homelessness.

The PreTenancy Team provides homelessness and housing advice services. They can be contacted on 01788 533837, or by email:

For more information, please click here to visit Rugby Borough Council's website.

Stratford-on-Avon District area

Stratford-on-Avon District Council's Housing Advice Team can give your friend advice about their housing options. Your friend can contact the Team during office hours (9:00am - 5:00pm) by ringing 01789 260 844, 01789 260 845 or 01789 260 846.

Further information can also be found here, at Stratford-0n-Avon District Council's website.

Warwick District area

The council may be able to offer your friend advice or assistance to prevent them from becoming homeless, so it is advisable to contact the Housing Advice staff as soon as your friend thinks that there is a possibility that they may become homeless.

If your friend is homeless or think they will become homeless within four weeks they should contact contact: Lynda Jackson (01926) 456359, Joanne Pritchard (01926) 456429 or Roberta Barnwell (01926) 456428.

Further information can be found on Warwick District Council's website, by clicking here.

Powered by GOSS iCM