To quickly EXIT this site, click on this bar  
Helpline: 0800 408 1552

Do you think you need help?

Reading this information, you may be thinking about whether you need to change your behaviour.  This section gives you information about:

There are lots of reasons to change your behaviour.

If you would like to talk to someone about your behaviour there are people who can help you. They are there for you to talk to them, and if appropriate, offer you support.

They are not related to the police and they will not report your behaviour to them unless they believe that someone is at risk of serious harm.

Click here to see a list of agencies within our Service Directory.

What could happen to me if I don't change?

  • Your abuse could escalate
  • Your relationship could break down
  • Your family could break down
  • You could lose the right to see your children
  • You could be evicted from your home
  • If you commit an offence you could go to jail

Domestic violence and abuse in itself is not an actual offence, but the behaviours you may be displaying could be. For example, if you hit your partner you could be charged with assault; if you throw a brick through your victim's window you could be charged with criminal damage.

What could happen if the police become involved?

  • You might be arrested and held in a police cell while the case is investigated
  • If you are charged you might not be allowed home and you might have to await your trial in prison
  • The police may regularly visit your house to monitor your behaviour
  • The police can arrange for extra security to be fitted to your victim's home

What happens if I am convicted of an offence?

  • You could go to prison
  • You may have to attend group programmes, undertake unpaid work in the community and pay a fine
  • You may be evicted from your home
  • You could lose access to your children
  • You may not be able to get certain jobs
  • You might not be able to travel abroad

Can anything happen even if I am not actually convicted of an offence?

Victim's can seek assistance through the civil courts. There are a number of ways victims can gain protection this way:

  • Non-molestation orders -  for  protection from all forms of violence and abuse
  • Occupation orders - sometimes called exclusion orders, or ousters -which regulate the occupation of the shared/family home
  • Interim Care Order / Emergency Protection Order - this can prevent you from having access to your children
  • Tenancy Transfers - If you are removed from the shared home the tenancy can be transferred to your victim

Why might I lose contact with my children?

  • Many children are affected by domestic violence and abuse, even if they don't see the abuse take place
  • Protecting children from the effects of an abusive relationship are always a priority

For further information click here to read about how your behaviour could affect children around you.

Powered by GOSS iCM